27.8.07

UW farm, and an almost useless shopping trip

Today, we visited the UW farm, which was really cool. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. Even though it was small, there was a huge diversity of plants. Lots of vegetables, fruits, flowers, some rare trees, and even honeybees and chickens! (The last two aren’t plants.) Inside of the greenhouses there was an amazing array of plants. I really liked how they were zoned by climate. The farm almost inspired me to garden, and that’s something!

More than anything though, walking through the gardens made me crave fresh vegetables, something I haven’t had since moving into the dorms. (Really, I don’t think that house salad in Eleven 01 counts as fresh.)

So, this afternoon I went on a quest. First, a trip to Crate and Barrel was in order: a pot and pan, a cutting board, a colander, a measuring cup and spoons, and a spatula were all procured. Then I went to Whole Foods, where I got lots of veggies and some condiments, all of which are either local or organic, or both! After reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma, I decided to choose local and conventional over organic and shipped, but whenever I could, I got things that were both local and organic. As far as veggies go, I got red bell peppers, broccoli, snap peas, cucumbers, and potatoes. I also got some organic tofu, some bread, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Unfortunately, I am an idiot, and forgot to get a knife. Or plates. Or silverware.
So, tomorrow, Ikea! And cooking.

No comments: